Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Library

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

The Library Empty
PostSubject: The Library   The Library Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 1:23 am

The Library Wall-of-knowledge-550x412-e1279561244244

The library is the largest room in the house; you'll never read all the books in here, no matter how hard you try. Titles range from Bram Stoker's Dracula to ancient texts in unintelligible languages. Some books are even held in glass cases, protection from aging and weathering.

And, in some cases, protection for the people who would attempt to read the books themselves.
Back to top Go down

The Library Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Library   The Library Icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2010 11:38 pm

The rest of the building was far too full for Alfred's tastes. Far too many weird things were going on, too many people with who knows what kind of motivations. As a hero, he knew he should have been up there with them, but something in the air made him uncomfortable, the way he was uncomfortable around the repeat criminals he fended off. Or maybe it was more like the feeling of walking through a dark street, with the eyes of prostitutes, theives, and murders on him. This slightly bothered Alfred; he was a hero. Heros are in control. They know what's going on, they know how to stop the bad and encourage good, so they should definitely know how to feel.

Something in the air of the library, though, reminded him of childhood. His father had a library, with all sorts of strange books written in weird languages that his father understood, or so Alfred assumed. Though, it was different now. He wasn't a little boy, for one; he was a full grown man and was able to reach the books on the top shelf, where the books that little boys shouldn't get their hands on are hidden. It didn't feel as warm as the library he'd grown up with did, either. The one he'd grown up with was warm and smelled of tea and old books and whatever he was having for lunch that day. This one did smell of old books and dust, but not much else.

Alfred stopped to browse the shelf, pulling out a book that seemed a bit familar. The binding cracked a bit as he gentley opened the book to look through the dusty pages. It was a strange manual, with diagrams of devices and how to use them on people and animals. The language was strange as well; not completely foregin but not easy to read either. After a few moments he put the book away and continuted to browse, moving towards the door.
Back to top Go down
日本

日本

The Library Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Library   The Library Icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 10:36 am

Kiku was not one for idle pleasantries. He could, if it was beneficial, and he often did, because clients liked it when you were personable and seemed reliable. It helped that he was also a man of his word, though words were a funny thing all together, and they could mean so many different thing without one even knowing it. This language, English, was so direct, so blunt, to the point, that it left no shadows and even fewer holes to slink and slither through. One had to be careful of what was said, because his art was that of secrets, and there were ways of deceive and reassuring all at once. It had taken some doing, but after a time, Kiku had become rather skilled in this new language. He was still young, adaptable, able to bend and flow like the wind through any potentially hazardous situations. The fact that he was still alive, was immersed in an entirely different world from his own, spoke testament to his abilities. A man in his trade needed versatility. How else would anything ever get done? You could never plan every possibility, you could never plan the perfect escape, there were always variables, and his job was to adapt.

And that, was currently what Kiku Honda was doing. This was a party, one of idle pleasantries he did not appreciate or condone, but one that might lead him to potential clients in the future. It was a good place to start, for he'd had a rough time in this current world setting. Finding steady work had continued to be a problem. But for now, Kiku was simply a guest; not a cloaked assassin and not a vigilante sweeping across the country side taking care of bandits and crooks, for his morning meals.

No, Kiku Honda was none of these things. He was a slight Asian man in a finely tailored white military suite. One that looked entirely unimposing, friendly even; nothing more, nothing less. How he had gotten into the library, well, perhaps that would remain a mystery to anyone who might inquire, but no, Kiku Honda was simply a man, attending a party.

The library itself was of interest. There were many books, many he thought would probably catch a decent sum of money on the black market - a place Kaze had quite a connection to these days- at least enough to supply his daily rice for many months to come. But that would remain a last attempt. Kiku Honda was not going to be taking anything, and neither was Kaze, any time soon.

There were others in the library, Kiku had heard them, and felt them long before they had arrived, but had found himself enjoying his peaceful walk through the library's shelves far to much to say anything. Now, after a good time on his own, he felt more compelled to make himself known. He walked out of one of the many shelves, and found a blue eyed man, more like a boy really, looking through a book. Without noticing him the boy placed the book down and moved on.

Kiku prepared the soft smile on his face and started walking over. "Ah, Excuse me! I seem to have lost my way, would you be willing to help me find my current whereabouts?" He posed the question kindly, and as the young boy turned to look at him Kiku could not help himself. The boy was absolutely stunning, a beautiful creature, and one that was obviously strong and sturdy for his young age.

"Though, perhaps being lost together wouldn't be so bad? My name is Kiku." He offered a polite smile and a soft nod of the head. Once, he would have bowed deeply, respectfully, and introduced his last name first, but this was not his home, and he was much older than this child. There was absolutely no need to be too polite just yet. When the boy was closer he would perhaps offer a hand shake, until then a soft, inviting smile would suffice.
Back to top Go down

The Library Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Library   The Library Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 3:19 pm

Alfred had heard others passing, but didn't make a point to greet them. Maybe they were down here for the same reason as he, or maybe they had a purpose, but either way, Alfred didn't want to interrupt someone he didn't know for idle chitchat. He didn't particularly feel like talking as it was. The library was huge, and the warm, homely feeling was comfortable. He didn't want to ruin it by talking to people he didn't know. The books were fascinating and every so often he came across one he could have sworn he'd seen before, giving a warm, and yet bitter, feeling in his chest.

But someone addressed him. He turned back to the other man, and smiled to him to be polite and come off as friendly, even if he really was interested in flipping through a few more books. Though, the man before him didn't seem to be that bad. In fact, he didn't seem very remarkable at all. He was small, or smaller than Alfred, at least, dressed in some sort of military uniform, which lead Alfred to believe that he was probably a good guy...unless he wore it as a disguise, but Alfred doubted it. The man appeared to be an honest sort of man, so he figured for now, he would believe he was a military man, even if he was rather small. However, he was also an Asian man...as far as his experience had shown, the Asian men he'd come across were always rather small. He put it out of mind and stepped a bit closer to the man to respond.

"I'm pretty sure it's not too far. I was moving in that direction now, actually! At least, I think so..." He smiled, and watched the man for some flicker of emotion...he wore a polite and friendly expression, much like Alfred did, but at least he attempted to be polite and friendly, rather than menacing and intimidating. His introduction wasn't much different from what he was used to, so he didn't think too much on it. "I guess we can stick together! I'm Alfred F. Jones."
Back to top Go down
日本

日本

The Library Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Library   The Library Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 11:29 pm

"I would like that very much, Mr. Jones." His smile never wavered and never gave light to anything amiss. Kiku was good at what he did, and that often involved deception. This child could be of use, and he seemed honest and friendly, the type of person that often proved themselves very useful to have around when things to a turn for the worse, as they sometimes were wont to do. They often threw themselves into dangerous waters before assessing the situation, and were known to underestimate their predicaments. This child was very lucky, he had no real business with Kaze, and to look at him Kiku had a feeling that even if his more deplorable skills could have been of use to this child, young Alfred would never sink to requesting them. He shone brightly with confidence and vigor, and the sight of him smiling there was actually rather comforting. It made Kiku think of that imaginary life he used to imagine having where he didn't have to worry about family tradition and honor and when the next serving of rice was coming from.

He'd been fortunate in many ways, there was no need to diminish what he could do and how effectively he could do it, but there was something entirely admirable about a character like Alfred who was still seemed wrapped in innocence. It was an interesting thought to contemplate; how truly different they were.

"Well, I would be most pleased to let you lead the way. I'm sure you wouldn't lead us to far off track, right?"

Kiku took the few steps towards Alfred, till they were a decent space apart. He looked up as Alfred towered over him and his smile brightened. He offered a hand, as he knew most westerners were more apt to do. It was a far more accepted tradition here than bowing.

"It is my pleasure to meet you here. What brings you to this party? Have you heard or seen our host yet? I've yet to introduce myself, he he hasn't presented himself. Though, we aren't exactly with the rest of the party."
Back to top Go down

The Library Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Library   The Library Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 12:58 pm

Alfred grins to him. He decides that yes, this man was probably honest. He kept his head up, for he knew there was no reason not to. The other man seemed friendly enough, and if he was lying, he was very, very good at it, but Alfred didn't think he was. For all this man knew, he was a completely normal guy. The man didn't know that Alfred was sort of a real-life superhero, a vigilante that put away probably more criminals than the cops in the town he worked in. And even if he did, there was no reason for him to put up a front unless he was a criminal. But such a nice man couldn't be. The criminals Alfred had met were hardly ever so polite, if ever. Most were violent, angry people, and even if they weren't, they had a sort of an air about them that lead him to believe they could be, ihe he managed to rub them the wrong way.

"Sure, sure! I'll lead you out, it's no problem!" Alfred shook his hand, looking at the shorter man. He was far shorter than he had originally thought, but his handshake was firm, which was nice.

"I haven't seen him around, either! Strange, huh? I got an invintation and figured I wasn't doing much ese this night, so why not come here? I dunno why he'd invite me, though. Do you know why you were invited?" Alfred glances at him, grinning a bit. As much as he thought the other man wasn't to be feared, he still knew nothing other than his name.
Back to top Go down
日本

日本

The Library Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Library   The Library Icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 10:59 pm

Kiku shook his head softly in response before answering more appropriately. "I do not. I have yet to even find out what is the purpose of this gathering. Most gatherings have a purpose of some kind, no? It is a little suspicious, for I know none of those attending this evening. Though, I had hoped to make some new and lasting connections."

That statement was true. Making a useful connection at this party could be the difference between mindless raids and well paid, professional work. Despite the appearance of young Alfred, this party was obviously not for the weak of wallet. It was in his best interest to make a good impression of himself to everyone he met, young Alfred included.

"It has been rather difficult for me, since having left my home, to make any lasting relations or any sort. It can get rather lonely." Perhaps this was a little manipulative, but the statement was not untrue, and Kiku's face never wavered from its pleasant look throughout the mentioning of it.
Back to top Go down

The Library Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Library   The Library Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 8:20 pm

Alfred nods, listening to Kiku before replying. "Yeah, there's usually a reason. Actually, I don't even know who invited me! I just came because...I don't know, actually, I just thought I should! Had a feeling that it'd be best if I did, or something like that." He nods again, as if to affirm what he was trying to say, even if he thought he hadn't made much sense. "I dunno about connections though! There seems to be a lot of people that I wouldn't want connections with here, but you don't seem so bad!" He adds the second part after a thought. As far as connections go, he figures this guy couldn't be too bad. He couldn't be any worse than some of the other people he'd met, after all. This guy even seemed better than his dad, at that.

Kiku's admission of loneliness made Alfred frown, and he patted his back in sympathy, even if he didn't seem too bothered by admitting this. "Oh, yeah, I know how that feels! I left my home too, and I feel really bad, because I really only had ever been close to my brother, and when I left, I left him behind because he was too young to leave our dad...I wonder if he's doing well!" He looks thoughtful at that. He's sure Peter was doing fine...
Back to top Go down
日本

日本

The Library Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Library   The Library Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 8:38 am

Kiku's smile did not waver when Alfred mentioned the seedy nature of the majority of those in attendance this evening. Instead the want to softly laugh at the naive boy only reinforced the smile, making it slightly wider, and it was kept in place quite nicely. His nature did not allow the laughter to bubble forth. The slighter man nodded in understanding.

"Yes, you may be right. I regret to admit that most of the others here do not seem the friendly type." Granted, these seedy folk were the type that usually made up his core clientel, but that was a point best left unmentioned.

The casual thump on his back was definitely undesired physical contact, but not wanting to seem rude or unwelcoming Kiku did not respond negatively. There was absolutely no reason to alienate the boy at this point. Who knew when Alfred would jump from a casual encounter to perhaps something more, be it lucrative or not. It would have been nicer if the boy wasn't the touchy feely sort, but perhaps that was just something he'd have to adjust to.

Kiku digested Alfred's mentioned brother with sympathy. He knew all to well what it was like to abandon the life you had once had. It was not a pleasant experience for him, who had nothing to attach himself to, he could imagine a character like Alfred taking it rather hard. But in the same light, Alfred himself was hardly old enough to be jumping from the nest head first into the world. There were far to many people out there that could and would manipulate young naive Alfred to their own bidding. It was undeniably a dangerous world out there, and Kiku could easily understand Alfred's concerns for a sibling he had left behind. A small child would have a hard time on its own. Kiku had never had siblings so the entirety of the feeling was lost on him, but the sentiment did resonate. If Alfred's father had been so bad to push the child out, then there was no telling how the younger would have turned out.

But there was no reason to be negative.

"You seem a man of merit, I'm sure your brother has some of the same qualities that have served him well in your absence."

The hidden meaning was a subtle 'don't worry about what you've left behind' and that gave far more insight to his own personal thoughts on such things than Kiku would like to admit. The slight man hoped that Alfred would not read more into that statement. In an attempt to keep face Kiku softened the sides of his smile to make it seem more sympathetic.
Back to top Go down

The Library Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Library   The Library Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2011 8:20 am

The library was a nice find, after wandering the halls almost aimlessly for a little while. At one point, she was certain she had gotten lost, and had to pause and look around. Which was how she'd found the library. Not too concerned with her placement, she could always just reach out her senses and find the vampire. She doubted he'd even really noticed, he seemed young, the way he'd clung to the Wizard. The young ones were always very clingy.

The library was much better suited to Natalya then the front hall or the ballroom. She wasn't much interested in getting her own hands dirty, when there were clear rules against violence. She'd hate to have to break the rule before she fully understood the purpose of this whole celebration.

Walking inside the calm setting of the library, she moved to the first bookshelf she saw, and began to peruse the books there, naming the titles silently to herself, before moving on. She sense the other two in the room very easily, and moved closer in their direction. It couldn't hurt to observe, after all.

She made no attempt to hide her presence, from the click of her heels on the floor to the feel of her magic seeping through her very being. There was much more power to her then anyone could sense easily, so she felt no need to hide too much of it, especially since the two she was moving towards were human. If they could sense her magic at all, she'd be surprised.

Moving passed another bookshelf, she finally spotted them. Casually, she moved to pluck a book from the shelf. An old one, that felt brittle and frail in her hands, like it might fall to pieces. The titles was long lost, and as she carefully opened it, she found the words inside quite faded, and clearly not in a language she knew off the top of her mind.
Back to top Go down
United States

United States

The Library Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Library   The Library Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 11:03 pm

He hoped Kiku was right about Peter being okay.

After getting settled into a new life, one without magic or monsters; where everything was normal, and easily explained. Scientifically explainable. That was when Alfred had begun to understand the full repercussions for his leaving the way he had.

Leaving his younger brother to fend for himself against their father. A man, that some part of Alfred did love, but who terrified him in such a way, that staying was simply not an option.

The guilt had been staggering at times, though Alfred just filled the hollow feeling it caused with work. Good, old fashioned manual labour that often left him so tired at night he hardly had time to kick off his boots, let alone worry about the younger brother he knew he'd betrayed.

“Yeah? You think?” He said verbally, a bit hopeful, but also a bit resigned. It wasn't like this man he'd just met would really know, but the idea that he thought so helped.

Giving a bright grin, one that didn't quite meet his eyes, “Hey, you wanted to get to the main room, right?”

The change in subject felt like a smart move, plus, he was getting hungry. Where there was a party, there was food. Good food always made Alfred feel better. He'd learned that in the States as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Library Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Library   The Library Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Library
Page 1 of 1